Tuesday, 1 January 2013

How To Paint a Chaos Warhound titan: Part 3

Its a new year folks. 2012 was a big one, I moved in with the other half, bought my own house, learnt how to plaster, spent time building wardrobes instead of ceramite, the list goes on. Unfortunately, due to this 'growing up' i seem to have done in 2012, my hobby time and blogging has suffered. I think part of my year's goals should be to try and increase my hobbying time backup to proper levels. So lets make a start with that already, merely a few hours in to the new year. Now we've woken up a bit and am shaking the hangover, I'll get some progress up here.
Last time I left you with this. The warhound has had it's base started. The legs are built and stuck, and the torso is pinned, weapons ready to get pinned next. Remember?   

Next up was to get the torso built properly. I spent a good afternoon cleaning up all the details, hatches, spines, vents, void shield generators, the lot and got gluing. The biggest parts I stuck with 2 part epoxy resin, the smaller details, just regular super glue.

As with a lot of forgeworld's stuff, there was quite the gap filling to be done. This shot shows about half way through that process. The spines I decided to put a brass rod 90% of the way through, as they were as flimsy as I thought. This is where working with resin beats plastic or metal, in that I was able to drill those pins all the way with a steady hand and my dremel. Should that have been plastic, it would have melted, or metal would have caused all sorts of snapped drill bits and mess.

Worth noting, I didn't glue in the central bulkhead, so I can still access the interior detail with my paintbrushes later on. Once the torso had entirely dried, I drilled a 2.6mm brass rod pin through the joint between torso and legs, in order the test the machine's balance... 

And happy days, we have one walking titan.

Next up, a bitch of a job. Those power cables that run between the head and the neck come in the straight lengths about 6'' long. Taking heat gun in hand, I begun the process of softening the resin the bend it into place. The job is a bitch, because its very hard to make the cables sit naturally. I takes quite the tweaking and playing around with hot resin.

There's two sides to be done, and as my titan is twisting it's head to the side, one cable had to look tight, and the other loose. The the tight one is one the right in this next picture.


And we're done. One growly happy warhound.


When I've built large models before, I find it wise to construct them in 'modules' to be painted. So with a titan, we have the legs, the torso, including the head, and the 2 arm weapons(more on these in the nest post).
We also have the base, which I've spent some more time on, cutting out the paving slabs once more. They'll get neatened up once the PVA glue have dried properly. I built the pile of rubble from a big blob of milliput, some of the resin offcuts from the titan itself, some good old sprue rubble, some basing sand, and finally, some 40k gubbins to make it look the part. Mix thoroughly and plaster on to the affected area.

I'm going to leave it there for the minute and go and crack on with the job at hand. Feel free to email or tweet questions or advice. 

Till next time


1 comment:

  1. Norton Setup & installation Enter your product key online. Download & Install Norton Antivirus Product Visit setup website www.norton.com/setup to register your code.